Here’s a fresh batch of regulatory bloopers:
- In Michigan, it is legal to kill ducks during hunting season, but not to scare them.
- In Pateros, Washington, it is illegal for dogs to be nuisances.
- Massage parlors are illegal in well-named Horneytown, North Carolina.
- In Salem, West Virginia, it is illegal to eat candy if you’re going to church in the next 90 minutes.
- In Maine, it is illegal to walk on any street with untied shoelaces.
- In New Britain, Connecticut, fire trucks on their way to a fire may not go faster than 25 mph.
- In Brooklyn, New York, it is against the law for horses to sleep in bathtubs.
- In South Dakota, it is illegal to fall asleep inside a cheese factory.
Posted in regulation
Tagged brooklyn, dogs, duck hunting regulations, horneytown, horneytown north carolina, maine, michigan, new britain connecticut, pateros washington, salem west vriginia, south dakota, untied shoelaces
Not at all, to be honest. For starters, the very notion of stimulus violates basic economics. Taking money out of the economy and then putting it back in has no net effect. But it gets worse. Much worse.
When that money is put back into the economy, it goes to the weirdest places — $3.4 million is going to Florida to build a tunnel under U.S. Highway 27, so turtles can cross safely. A fish hatchery in South Dakota is getting $20,000 for new light fixtures. $50,000 is being spent to resurface a tennis court in Bozeman, Montana.
And so on.
These boondoggles aren’t getting nearly enough press. To help fill the vacuum, the good folks at Citizens Against Government Waste have put up a new website, MyWastedTaxDollars.org. Click on over and check it out. The best feature is an interactive map that shows just how unwisely stimulus funds are being spent all over the country.
Stimulus is worse than a zero-sum game. It is actively harmful. It is government saying that it knows how to spend your money better than you do; stimulus is the ultimate act of hubris. Kudos to CAGW and MyWastedTaxDollars.org for providing hundreds of examples of why government hubris should be replaced with government humility.
Posted in Economics, Stimulus
Tagged basic economics, boondoggle, bozeman, bozeman montana, cagw, citizens against government waste, Economics, fl, florida, florida tag, government waste, hatchery, montana, mt, mywastedtaxdollars.org, opportunity costs, sd, south dakota, Stimulus, stimulus package, turtles, waste